Pages

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

27 Year Anniversary

Bryan Atwood and I have been married for 27 years today!  We were married in 1985, when I was 20 years old, which I do not recommend to anyone - although it seems to have worked for us.  We sold his truck for $500 to be able to afford to go on a honeymoon to...Park City, Utah. 

We have three children, Bryan (24), Chelsea (22) and Samantha (20). When I am having a bad day, Bryan always goes and finds this old photo he has hidden somewhere.  It shows me in bright red sweats (from a great elementary school teacher tomato costume I wore on Halloween), looking very pregnant, even though I had Samantha several weeks before the photo was taken.  Samantha is in my arms trying to kiss me with her mouth wide open.  Bryan Jr. is jumping on the couch in the background in cowboy boots and a cowboy hat.  Chelsea is in pajamas chewing on the coffee table leg.  He holds it up and says, "At least you are not dealing with this!"  I always look at this photo and wonder how I did it.

Is there something you look back on and wonder just how you managed to do it and survive?

8 comments:

  1. I loved reading about you and your family!! Never seen this husband of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations. I hope you had a great anniversary and did something really fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Twenty seven years...wonderful. That is a true accomplishment,especially for a tomato. You two are as cute as can be!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a good thing we have our children when we are young! I keep a photo on my 'fridge of me with our 4 kids all wearing their redskin sweatsuits their grand mother purchased because my husband is such a huge fan. In the photo my second daughter looks the same age as our twin boys and I remember how hectic those first couple of years were when I had 3 kids in diapers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations!

    What a remarkable journey you have accomplished, so far! You should write a book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Julie,I need a photo like that for my husband to show me years from now. What you were then is basically what I am now minus one kid. Now that both of my daughters can talk, basically understand no and do a few things for themselves I often wonder how I coped with working full time on about three or less hours of sleep each night. Now I get about five or six hours a night which makes me a lot more sane and less grumpy than I was then.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was told my services in Granite School District didn't matter anymore. I was asked to choose which Home Ec Class I wanted. Yes, I first graduated in Home Ec, as we called it. I was called by a jr. high principal and told I was on the staff. I told her I wouldn't hire me if I had the chance. I hadn't thought about Home Ec, as I was still calling it, for 14 years. My moving to SLCSD was a real miracle. So many things happened, mistakes, they lost my application in HR, I turned down Horizonte twice, I wanted elementary. Lesley called me and said give it a try. So here I am. It took a long time till I was over that experience. I loved every bit of Bennion Elementary. In Granite. I believe it was so meant to be. Someone is watching out for me and planning ahead.

    ReplyDelete