Pages

Monday, January 28, 2013

Newbery and Caldecott Announced Today

 The Newbery and Caldecott awards were announced today at the ALA Conference in Seattle.

Newbery Winner:   The One and Only Ivan
                                 Written by Katherine Applegate


Newbery Honor:     Splendors and Glooms
                                 Written by Laura Schlitz


Newbery Honor:     Bomb: The Race to Build and Steal the World's Most Dangerous Weapon
                                 Written by Steve Sheinkin

Newbery Honor:     Three Times Lucky
                                 Written by Sheila Turnage

Caldecott Winner:   This Is Not My Hat
                                  Written and illustrated by J.P. Klassen

Caldecott Honor:    Creepy Carrots
                                 Written by Aaron Reynolds
                                 Illustrated by Peter Brown

Caldecott Honor:   Extra Yarn
                                Written by Mac Barnett
                                Illustrated by John Klassen

Caldecott Honor:   Green
                                Written and illustrated by Laura Vaccaro Seeger

Caldecott Honor:   One Cool Friend
                                Written by Toni Buzzeo
                                Illustrated by David Small

Caldcott Honor:     Sleep Like a Tiger
                                Written by Mary Logue
                                Illustrated by Pamela Zagarenski




16 comments:

  1. The One and Only Ivan was good, but I don't think it would have been a Newberry for me. I guess the committee can't break the disappointment cycle. I really like the Caldecott winner, This Is Not My Hat, but Green was a close first for me. I also love Extra Yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought a copy of "I want my hat back" because I have a collection of hats, and my nephew had just claimed adverse possession of one I gave to his dad - my brother. I thought "This is not my hat" was cute, but the theme was a little repetative, coming just after "I want my hat back". Perhaps if they had used something other than hats - like Ipods maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Library Technology Teachers:

    If one of you will be the author, I will illustrate the book!

    We will be Medal Winners!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to rhyme.

      I wanted to read a book on my iPad
      but I found it in the hands of my dad.

      I won't read a book on any other
      I need to get my iPad from my mother.

      I searched and searched, my iPad to locate
      I found who now is reading it. My aunt Kate.

      Today I found my iPad with ease...
      Opps, it's out of batteries.

      Delete
  4. When King's English did a book talk for my group in December, they said that "This is not my hat" was not as good as the first one. Again, it's like a make-up call in sports; the ref/committee blows it the 1st time (book), and so makes up by giving it to the 2nd (but not as good) one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am anxious to read The One and Only Ivan, and I love all the books selected for the Caldecott. I am very fond of This is Not My Hat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read any of the Newbery winners this year. I agree with "This is not my hat" not being as good. I wish they had given the gold to "Creepy Carrots" That was my favorite this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved "Creepy Carrots" and so did the kids. "This is not my Hat" really drew in my second graders and special ed kids. I haven't read the other yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I have a new reading list. I am not familar with any of these books so I have some reading to catch up on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I liked The One and Only Ivan. I think it is something I could get my kids to read. I am pleased with that choice. As for This Is Not My Hat, I agree that it is too repetitive after his first (absolutely hilarious) one and so not as good, in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Am I just weird or what? I don't get the I Want My Hat Back book. I just picked it off the shelf. I have had it here, but never read it. Huh?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I would like the Creepy Carrots. I am going to order it. My preschool kids will hopefully like it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't read any of the Newbery winners yet. I hope, I hope, I hope I can love the Newbery winner this year because I haven't for several years.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved I Want My Hat Back but haven't seen the second one. I also like Creepy Carrots. As for the Newbery awards, I placed holds on all of them at the county library today so we'll see how long it takes me to get them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I feel very out of touch about the Newbery award books. I've read and love the Caldecotts, but I have The One and Only Ivan at my house and can't get into it???

    ReplyDelete