Pages

Monday, November 10, 2014

New Resources from EBSCO this year!



EBSCO has added or expanded several new resources and databases this year. Take a look at some of the new offerings and share them with your teachers and students!

History Reference Center: This site is great for US and World History classes and as a teacher reference.

The Science Reference Center is a high school reference, but contains many different experiments that could be used with students or suggested for science fair!

Hobbies and Crafts Center...it's easy to get lost in this one! You can share it with all your teachers, but especially your CTE, CTE Intro, and FACS teachers! (BTW...there is a holiday focus section with some great craft and food ideas!)

The Literary Reference Center is another high school reference that contains author background and criticism on many works our ELA teachers are using their classrooms.

The Magazine database has been expanded!

The Newspaper Source Plus database now has even more international newspapers--share this with your language teachers as well as your teachers doing current events!

The Poetry and Short Story Reference Center has full texts of poems and stories as well as criticism and author information--this is a high school resource.

For your debaters or ELA teachers working on argument writing (from the UCS), the Points of View Reference Center is a great resource. It presents current issues with an overview and a point/counter point.

And for your school in general, don't forget the Professional Development Collection database with over 500 high-quality journals. A great place to find articles to support PLCs, new teachers, or your own professional reading!

How do you use Pioneer Library in your library? What UEN.org resources are the most popular in your school? What are some of the ways you've been successful in sharing online resources with your teachers?

11 comments:

  1. I use Pioneer for research projects with my students. We use World Book Online, eMedia, Culturegrams, EBSCO, Soundzabounds, the Newspapers,and Preschool Pioneer. I encourage the teachers at my school to use the many resources that available to them in planning lessons such as eThemes, Thinkablility. There are so many new things there that I need to become familiar with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also use pioneer library for research projects. I also like to use it for picture book research. I just read a Year in the Jungle by Suzanne Collins. It is the story of her family during the year her dad was in Vietnam. We are doing a lesson on researching Vietnam.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had 6th Grade students use both EBSCO (Kids Search & Research for Middle/High School) and Gale’s Infobits. Some found Gale much easier to use, and different sources and information was found on both. I would recommend using both when teaching/doing research.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pioneer is so very wonderful to use in library research.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am liking Opposing View Points in Context. I miss the essential questions and pro/con from SIRS but I like how the information is arranged in types of resources.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like Pioneer too, and we use it for research but we use Soundzabound for our video and power point projects.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use Pioneer for research with my students. When teaching about how to choose keywords and subjects I often use Culture Grams. I also use World Book a lot. Soundzabound for projects is great.

    For myself and my lessons I use eMedia several times a month with various lessons especially with kindergarten. It's great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish that I had been able to use Pioneer in my elementary school when I was a child.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I taught MS and HS, I was in another state that will be nameless but the first letters were C-A-L-I...and we didn't have access to any resources like this. I would have loved to have these online research tools, and eMedia to support my teaching. Lucky us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I use Pioneer Library during my Research blocks and during weekly library lessons. I try to do mini pioneer lessons before we start our two week research block. I recently read the book a Year in the Jungle, and we researched Vietnam for several weeks. I read a book about Niagara Falls this week. and they were even able to listen to the actual falls via World Book. It is nice to see them use it on their own for individual searches. I see kids using it rather than just going to Google. Yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I use pioneer for my research blocks and during some library lessons. I really love culturegrams, and worldbook online for research and Noodletools for bibliographies.
    I use the Utah collection and have in the past loved the counties of Utah. I have been frustrated with the sites being blocked. Last year I went to great lengths to get them unblocked. This year I gave up when they were all blocked again and had kids with access do it from home.
    New this year I am using Kids infobits and Biography in context from the Gale Reference.

    ReplyDelete